Passion and BarCampMilwaukee
BarCampMilwaukee needs people who are passionate about a particular issue or aspect of their lives and know or think that technology can play an important role in the part of their life about which they are passionate.
On Barcamp.org, the worldwide focal point for barcamps, it says, " A BarCamp is an ad-hoc gathering born from the desire for people to share and learn in an open environment. It is an intense event with discussions, demos, and interaction from participants." There are four key points in that short description.
- "share and learn" -- this isn't an event for people to come with only one focus. Those who want only to learn might be well-advised to find a different educational venue. Those who feel they have much to tell others but nothing to learn should likewise go elsewhere to be a fount of knowledge. BarCampMilwaukee is for people who want to both share their accumlated skills, experience and knowledge and learn from others at the event.
- "an open environment" -- this event is about collaboration and open source. If you can't or don't want to share information about your passion, this event isn't for you. For those unfamiliar with the open source concept, consider reading "Open Sources 2.0" before participating in BarCampMilwaukee. It may open your thinking to some inspiring new concepts and cause you to be even more excited about participating in barcamps. The book itself is a good example of open source. You have no excuse for not reading it because it can be read online. I have the hardcopy of the book because it's nice to be able to read it away from the computer, but that's just my preference.
- "discussions, demos and interaction from participants" -- everyone at BarCampMilwaukee is encouraged and expected to be a participant, not just a spectator or quiet attendee. That participation can take the forms of discussion, demos, or other interactions. Everyone should show up at the event ready to lead a session. If you aren't comfortable leading a session by yourself, either find someone else to co-lead a session or volunteer to help someone else with a session in which you're really interested. Also consider taking the plunge and lead a session even though you're uncomfortable doing it. Come to the planning meetings at Bucketworks. Help set up on September 30 before the start of BarCampMilwaukee. Help clean up on October 1 after the event is finished. Volunteer to bring equipment or supplies. Be a sponsor of the event, or go out and recruit sponsors for the event. Spread the word about BarCampMilwaukee to others who are passionate about making things using technology. Be a Participant.
- "intense event" -- this phrase is the key to a great BarCampMilwaukee experience. People who bring a topic they're passionate about and who buy into the other three important aspects of barcamps will create an "intense event." They'll be engaged and they'll get others engaged. Bring your skills and experiences, lead a session, learn and share, but above all, be involved and be passionate about what you make.
- Google's Writely reopened for public access http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060818-7542.html
- What does your browser reveal about you? http://www.terminally-incoherent.com/blog/2006/08/19/what-does-your-browser-reveal-about-your-personality/
- Microsoft invites Firefox development team to
- Hear the Music, Avoid the Mosh Pit http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/08/20/AR2006082000593.html
- Verizon imposes new DSL surcharge as government fees removed http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/siliconvalley/business/technology/personal_technology/15327454.htm
- SecureWorks admits to falsifying MacBook wireless hack http://old.tuaw.com/2006/08/18/secureworks-admits-to-falsifying-macbook-wireless-hack/
come to Second Life http://games.gigaom.com/2006/08/20/adidas-toyota-come-to-second-life/ Toyota
- A Quantum Leap for Cell Phones http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/aug2006/tc20060821_810437.htm
- Farecast Goes Coast to Coast http://software.gigaom.com/2006/08/21/farecast-goes-coast-to-coast/
- New Nano rival offers twice the storage http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060821/wr_nm/sandisk_dc
- Video games taken as serious medicine http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060818/tc_afp/afplifestyleinternet
- Could Business Travelers Hit The Road Without Their Trusty Laptops? http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060819/tc_cmp/192202026
- Could a blimp improve communications? http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060820/ap_on_hi_te/wireless_dirigibles
- AT&T turns back on
suburb over franchise agreement http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060818-7543.html Chicago
- Google Talk learns to speak on its first birthday http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060817-7537.html
- YouTube takes on music giants http://www.mg.co.za/articledirect.aspx?articleid=281178
- Google Coy Over Use of Facial-Recognition Technology http://www.informationweek.com/industries/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=192201732
- Patent review goes Wiki (Justin & Yoda!) http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/08/21/8383639/
- Intel looks to make its 3D more Extreme http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060816-7520.html
- Nintendo offers free Wii play online http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060815-7513.html
- How To Keep Your Search History Private http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/archives/004868.php
Windows Live DriveInfo: Deleted Post
- The Online Storage Gang (Jan 2006 post) http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/01/31/the-online-storage-gang/
- Indian village uploads itself onto Internet http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060817/wr_nm/life_india_village_dc
- Creating A Windows XP Recovery Console CD Image http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060817/tc_cmp/192201375
- Federal judge orders halt to NSA spy program http://news.com.com/2100-1036_3-6106772.html
- Five things you'll be glad to hear about Longhorn Server networking http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9002511
- Lessig Addresses 'Crazy' Linux Users at LinuxWorld http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060815/tc_zd/186184
- Create Letterhead Templates in MS Word http://www.creativetechs.com/iq/create_letterhead_templates_in_ms_word.html
- Bucketworks on WikiMapia (in center of map) http://www.wikimapia.org/#y=43047503&x=-87914363&z=16&l=0&m=a