BB King / NNf
If there had been an extra $150 laying around last night, I would have gone to a BB King concert that he put on in his club on Beale Street two blocks from my hotel in Memphis, TN.
The money tree didn't seem to be in working order, though. Sat in the hotel lobby instead and listened to two Brits discuss the merits of rugby league and rugby union. Certainly as interesting and unquestionably less expensive.
Some quite intriguing technologies and unique characters have crossed my path this week. There will be fun conversations in the next few weeks in Wisconsin pertaining to innovation opportunities in conjunction with the Insight 2006 Nonwovens conference here in Memphis.
Here is the final NEW NET issues list for the week of 30 Oct 2006. No meeting this week due to Halloween and other activities. Don't eat too much candy...
- Google buys JotSpot, dips into wiki world http://news.com.com/2100-1032_3-6131024.html http://www.forbes.com/business/businesstech/2006/10/31/jotspot-wiki-google-tech-ebiz-cx_rr_1031google.html SkyNet takes another step towards self-awareness. Google bought the wiki web app, JotSpot, which should combine nicely with Google Docs & Spreadsheet. My question is whether Gcalendar will prevail, or whether JotSpot’s calendar has better features.
- The Ten Most Dangerous Online Activities http://www.forbes.com/entrepreneurs/2006/10/25/microsoft-mozilla-malware-ent-tech-cx_sb_1025smallbizresource.html Give this to your non-geek friends, relatives, co-workers and customers. Many of them will benefit from the advice herein.
- Lesson for
Wisconsin: tech industry took time to build http://wistechnology.com/article.php?id=3435 Carolina
- In Teens' Web World, MySpace Is So Last Year http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/28/AR2006102800803.html Anyone trying to build an online social networking website or trying to make money on social network websites should read this article. Loyalty and viral appeal are somewhat mutually exclusive.
- Windows Defender Leaves Beta http://microsoft.blognewschannel.com/index.php/archives/2006/10/25/windows-defender-leaves-beta/
- Top Firefox 2 config tweaks http://www.lifehacker.com/software/firefox-2/geek-to-live-top-firefox-2-config-tweaks-209941.php
- Flash to jump beyond the browser http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6071005.html?tag=nl
- Adobe ponies up for Apollo http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6129403.html Will Apollo make your online web apps usable and invaluable offline? Next killer app?
- Brainpower Tested On New Web Site http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061029/tc_cmp/193402756 This is one for Jim & Lindsey – Humana is a partner on this website.
- Botnets cause significant surge in spam http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061030-8111.html
- Vox Lifts Off and You’ll Love It http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/10/26/vox-lifts-off-and-youll-love-it/
- Vox: Private conversation is aim of new blog software http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061026/wr_nm/life_blogs_vox_dc_1
- Attack of the Bots http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.11/botnet.html Interesting real life story involving Jonathan S’s employer in
. San Francisco
- The high priestess of internet friendship http://www.ft.com/cms/s/59ab33da-64c4-11db-90fd-0000779e2340.html We should invite Danah Boyd, MIT grad, to BarCampMadison. Another good read for those interested in social network websites.
- 3D Weather Data Visualization in Second Life http://www.secondlifeinsider.com/2006/10/28/3d-weather-data-visualization-in-second-life/
- Back to School with the Class of Web 2.0: Part 3 http://www.solutionwatch.com/519/back-to-school-with-the-class-of-web-20-part-3/
- AT&T launches video monitoring service http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061026/ap_on_hi_te/at_t_remote_surveillance
- Microsoft To Include Sonic Media Software In
Vistahttp://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061027/tc_cmp/193402603 San FranciscoGets Free FONs for Wi-Fi http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061027/tc_zd/192585 Would FON be a good partner in ? Green Bay
- Socialtext Releases SocialPoint: Best-of-Breed Wiki Integrated With Microsoft's SharePoint http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=177884
- Google actively aiding intelligence agencies? http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061030-8105.html SkyNet fodder for conspiracy theorists, or where there’s smoke, there’s fire? There is certainly the possibility of fire…