Civilian Aerospace: Possibilities and Opportunities
"New settlement planned at south pole -- of the moon."
That was the headline of an article appearing in the online Seattle Times on 05 Dec 02006. The headline was especially interesting because I'm currently re-reading an old favorite, "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein, and because of some current activities related to civilian aerospace.
Reading articles like the one mentioned above, reading online about Anousheh Ansari and her stay on the ISS (international space station), learning more about Charles Simonyi's trip scheduled to the ISS in 2007, and working on activities involving civilian aerospace frontiers makes me feel like I'm in a prequel to Heinlein's book. There is no doubt we live in exciting times, and times of great opportunity.
If you have an interest in civilian aerospace, please contact me and let's discuss the possibilities for innovation and global collaboration that will lead to civilian explorers in space!
Below is the final list of issues for the TUESDAY, 05 December 02006, NEW NET (Northeast Wisconsin Network for Economy and Technology) 6:50 pm weekly gathering at Mister Churro, 207 N. Richmond St., Appleton, Wisconsin, USA.
- Will Second Life Be The AOL Of Online Virtual Worlds? http://techdirt.com/articles/20061128/171959.shtml
- ON THE WHIMSY OF LINE RIDER http://mp.blogs.com/mp/2006/11/s_23.html
- AskCity Launches. It’s Cool. http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/12/03/askcity-launches-its-cool/
- Good blogs you’re (maybe) not reading http://www.fimoculous.com/archive/post-1825.cfm
Security & Privacy
pilots "future crime" database http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8299.html London
- MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/11/home-theater-regulations.html
Warns of Possible Cyber Biz Attack http://www.forbes.com/technology/feeds/ap/2006/11/30/ap3218741.html U.S.
- Romanian charged with hacking
government computers http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/breaking_news/16137103.htm U.S.
- ATM system called unsafe http://redtape.msnbc.com/2006/11/researchers_who.html
- Nike+ IPod = Surveillance http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,72202-0.html
- FBI taps cell phone mic as eavesdropping tool http://news.com.com/2100-1029_3-6140191.html
- McAfee Avert Labs unveils predictions for top ten security threats in 2007 http://www.ameinfo.com/104119.html
Mobile Computing & Communicating
- Cheap PCs could herald a spam epidemic http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8305.html
- New Opera makes music on cell phones http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8312.html
- Intel jumps on 802.11n bandwagon with Centrino http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061129-8322.html
- Cellular providers pressuring Google over mobile apps http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061129-8319.html
- Windows Live Search For
Mobilevs. Google Maps Mobile http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/smartphones/windows-live-search-for-mobile-vs-google-maps-mobile-218467.php
- ASUS Motherboards to Integrate Skype and Standard Phones http://www.geekzone.co.nz/content.asp?contentid=6876
- 30 Essential Pieces Of Free (and Open) Software for Windows http://www.thesimpledollar.com/2006/12/01/30-essential-pieces-of-free-and-open-software-for-windows/
- Judge leaves SCO's case vs. IBM on life support (updated) http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061201-8325.html
- LinuxBIOS: to replace your proprietary BIOS http://linuxbios.org/Welcome_to_LinuxBIOS
- Open source projects threatened by e-learning patent http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061203-8341.html
- Anger at YouTube videos that show how to break into houses http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23376335-details/Anger+at+YouTube+videos+that+show+how+to+break+into+houses/article.do
- Google Apps for Your Domain http://analytics.blogspot.com/2006/11/google-apps-for-your-domain_27.html
- Major Update in Google Spreadsheets http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/11/major-update-in-google-spreadsheets.html
- Your Next House May Come From A Printer http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061203/tc_cmp/196601091
- New settlement planned at south pole — of the moon http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003462227_moon05.html
- Universal to seek money for each iPod sold http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061128-8309.html
- Wireless headphones let you listen with clarity http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-0612040141dec04,0,394054.story
- Windows vs. Linux vs. OS X http://www.cio.com/advice_opinion/infrastructure/operating_systems/halamka_os_review_17.html
- Sniffing out Microsoft’s ‘OS in the cloud’ skunk-works project http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=119
- On to the next version of Windows http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=126
- AMD Quad FX Platform: More Isn't Better http://www.extremetech.com/print_article2/0,1217,a=195212,00.asp
- GM developing plug-in Saturn http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-061129gm-plugin,0,4659937.story?coll=chi-business-hed
- A new wide-angle lens for video surveillance http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/index.php?p=425
Economy and Technology
- Create Jobs, Eliminate Waste, Preserve Value http://www.inc.com/magazine/20061201/entrepreneur-hendricks.html
- SoloSEO.com Offers SEO Project Management Tools http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/2006/11/soloseo-seo-project-management-tools.html
- Seagate CEO: I help people "watch porn" http://money.cnn.com/2006/11/30/magazines/fortune/obrienseagate.fortune/
- Is Microsoft Driving Innovation Or Playing Catch-Up With Rivals? http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116490323676636989-HnHPKLzkyy9xKy2wnokbd2bc_bE_20071130.html