Blogger Woes / NNf
It seems the time has finally come to switch from the original Blogger system to the new beta version.
The previous post on this blog (Sun Java Released to Open Source) was written last night. However, when an attempt was made to publish the post, Blogger refused to cooperate, reporting that there were errors. A second attempt was made, on the hope that the 'error' was merely a temporary glitch in Blogger's performance. No dice on Try # 2. Going with the theory that maybe that post's webpage was just messed up, the page was closed out, a new browser page opened, and Blogger was logged into again. The post was re-written and, once again, the Publish button clicked. Try # 3 -- futility personified. Not wanting to leave the dead horse less than thoroughly flogged, several more tries were made with variations on a theme. All to no avail, of course. In due course, the white flag was raised, Firefox was shut down and more fruitful tasks were pursued.
When myDigitechnician's Blogger account was opened this morning, the 'Java Open-Source' post was in the edit screen, but had not yet been published. So the Edit button was clicked for the 'Java' post, and after verifying that the draft post seemed in good order, the Publish button was clicked, albeit with no drum roll. A quick check of the myDigitechnician blog show that, yes, indeed, the post had published. For good measure, apparently, two additional copies of the post had been published. Triple-goodness!! A quick trip back to the blog control panel and several clicks of the Delete button brought us to the current state of one copy of the post, published just as desired.
The above process convinced me to transfer over to the new version of Blogger. According to what I've read online, the beta version doesn't have any of the problems the legacy version is experiencing.
If you've got a fairly easy blogging solution you'd recommend as an alternative to Blogger, please let this beleaguered blogboy know!
- A Web Site to Call Your Own http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/02/technology/02pogue.html?8dpc=&_r=2&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1163088146-/yvGde6NV7/5GF3bxjrxNQ
- Pre-DOCSIS 3.0 rollout in
hits 100Mbps http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061110-8195.html South Korea
- Yahoo to embed instant messaging into e-mail http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061110-8192.html
- Amazon S3: Show me the money http://blogs.smugmug.com/onethumb/2006/11/10/amazon-s3-show-me-the-money/
- The YourMinis Do-It-All Flash Homepage http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/11/the-yourminis-do-it-all-flash-homepage/
- Find, Track and Review Conferences http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/11/13/confabb-find-track-and-review-conferences/
Security & Privacy
- Alarm Raised for Critical Broadcom Wi-Fi Driver Flaw http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061111/tc_zd/193827
- Phishers Cast Bait for Bigger Catch http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20061110/tc_zd/193799
- Universities move to hide work from
eyes http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061111.gtuniversities11/BNStory/Technology/ U.S.
- Mutate, fragment, hide: The new hacker mantra http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9004967
Mobile Computing & Communicating
- Yahoo, Linksys Unveil VOIP Cordless Phone http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127806-c,webtelephonyconferencing/article.html http://www.techtree.com/India/News/New_Phone_Uses_Yahoo_Messenger/551-77101-615.html
- Motorola Buys
MobileApp Company http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20061110/tc_pcworld/127850
- Samsung Unveils Multi-featured PDA With WiMax http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061109/tc_cmp/193600742
- Geek to Live: Essential tools for the placeless office http://www.lifehacker.com/software/collaboration/geek-to-live--essential-tools-for-the-placeless-office-213641.php
- Surf 'n' ride: Access the Net in the car http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_hi_te/autos_mobile_internet
- Open Source VoIP Takes A Few Steps Forward http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061109/tc_cmp/193600550
- Open Season on Closed Platforms at Web 2.0 http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061109/tc_cmp/193600882
- Microsoft And Oracle Are Following The Linux Leader http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061111/tc_cmp/193700586
- Samba Team Asks Novell to Reconsider http://news.samba.org/announcements/team_to_novell/
- Sun frees Java source code into public domain http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061113/tc_afp/usitinternetsoftware
- A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats http://blogs.sun.com/jonathan/entry/fueling_the_network_effect
- Oops! Google Sent 'Worm' to E-mail List http://www.internetnews.com/security/article.php/3642906
- Google Checkout waives fees for holidays http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061109/ap_on_hi_te/google_checkout
- Google adds start page to Google Apps for Your Domain http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061113-8211.html
- Google’s Marissa Mayer: Speed wins http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3925
- Google Earth maps history http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061114/tc_afp/afplifestyleitinternethistorymapsgoogle
- Looking for a new video game system? http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-11-09-console-cover_x.htm
- Gigantic Polar Storm Spotted on Saturn http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,228626,00.html
- Blog with daily flash game reviews http://www.freegamesnews.com/en/index.php
Economy and Technology
- IBM galvanized by video game business http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061110/ap_on_hi_te/game_chips_ibm
- Q& A: Amazon's Jeff Bezos At Web 2.0 http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061111/tc_cmp/193700471
- IBM accelerates push into 3D virtual worlds http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061110/wr_nm/ibm_dc
- Sites Give Sneak Peek At Black Friday Deals http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061114/tc_cmp/194300123
- Today's teens will change the way we work... http://comment.silicon.com/editorsblog/0,3800012021,39163087,00.htm