BarCampMilwaukee Aftermath / NNf
BarCampMilwaukee is over for this year. In the next few days, the aftermath of the event will be documented and possibilities for the future will be explored.
Approximately one hundred people participated in the first BarCampMilwaukee, 30 September - 01 October 2006. New connections were made between people passionate about technology and about how it can be used or created. The 31 hours of BarCampMilwaukee were a fun and interesting time, and the sessions I participated in were exercises in learning, sharing and stretching my mind. There are still random thoughts from countless conversations bouncing around from one gray cell to another. As those thoughts coalesce, a list of possibilities and some priorities will emerge and be documented on this blog.
Several items on this week's NEW NET issue list are about the Yahoo Hack Day which was also held this weekend. Hack Day was somewhat like BarCampMilwaukee, only on a grander and slightly more expensive scale. The number 10 item on the NEW NET list below discusses how traditional industry conferences and expos are not faring as well as in the past, and barcamps and 'hack days' may be some of the events filling the void.
Today's post will be short so I can get the NEW NET issues list on-line in preparation for tonight's gathering at Mister Churro. If you were unable to participate in BarCampMilwaukee, consider participating in BarCampMadison in early 2007. Watch the BarCampMilwaukee Aftermath webpage for future events and projects in which you can participate and collaborate. And put BarCampMilwaukee 2007 on your calendar for next year as soon as the date is set. We look forward to seeing you there!
Below is the final list of issues for the Monday, 25 September 2006, NEW NET (Northeast Wisconsin Network for Economy and Technology) 6:50 pm weekly gathering at Mister Churro, 207 N. Richmond St., Appleton, Wisconsin, USA.
- Lawsuit tries to pin blame for murders on GTA: Vice City http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060926-7838.html
- Hackers claim zero-day flaw in Firefox http://news.com.com/2100-1002_3-6121608.html
- Sandisk Announces 12GB and 16GB Extreme III CF Cards http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4320
- House approves warrantless wiretapping http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060929-7867.html
- OpenBSD creator wants users to pressure Intel on open source policies http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20061002-7874.html
- One phone number to rule them all http://www.lifehacker.com/software/telephone/one-phone-number-to-rule-them-all-203629.php
- Creative mayhem at Yahoo's first-ever software hack-a-thon http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061001/tc_afp/afplifestyleitinternet
- Yahoo Hack Day http://email@example.com/articles/indiv/2006/001258.html
- All Women Team Takes Yahoo Hack Day Top Prize http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/10/01/all-women-team-takes-yahoo-hack-day-top-prize/
- Tech Trends Threaten Trade Shows http://news.yahoo.com/s/ibd/20060927/bs_ibd_ibd/2006927tech
- McAfee: Microsoft completely unrealistic on
- IE 7 May Impact E-tailers' Sales http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20061002/tc_cmp/193100905
- Only a "moron" would buy YouTube http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060929/wr_nm/media_youtube_dc
- HP goes shopping, comes home with VoodooPC http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060928-7863.html
- AMD signs deal with number two Chinese PC builder http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060929-7865.html
- First look at Wallop http://blogs.zdnet.com/Stewart/?p=124
- Virtual schools and tutors offer students new opportunities http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060928-7859.html
- The long tail is real, but only a handful are cashing in http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3674
- Google, Intel Call For Vastly More Efficient PC Power Supplies http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060927/tc_cmp/193005954
- PC World's 100 Fearless Forecasts http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060929/tc_pcworld/127152
- Co-founder tells his side of Apple story http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060927/tc_nm/wozniak_dc
- Screeching mobiles that give thieves ear bashings http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1035_22-6121684.html
- Video games aim to spice up old people's lives http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060930/tc_afp/afplifestyleusitgameshealthelderly
- Gameworld: Older women rule ... the casual games market http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060928/tc_nm/leisure_gaming_women_dc
- Pangea Arcade game now available http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20060929/tc_macworld/pangea20060929