AMD Bought ATI -- Good or Bad?
So, are the GPU/video card wars over? Will AMD's purchase of ATI mean ATI's role will be dumbed down to just compete with Intel graphics? Or will ATI's dominance in the portable device market mean happy days are ahead for AMD.
This merger or acquisition will take a while to figure out, and there's no doubt that most AMD and ATI employees have the same questions as you and I. Hopefully after a few mis-steps and some minor job cuts, AMD will integrate ATI's products and expertise into the processor company and develop some innovative new technologies that would not have happened if the two companies had stayed separate.
The biggest potential downside IMO is if nVIDIA is left feeling they have no competition, resulting in stagnation in the video card market. Sort of like Creative and sound cards. Although it's questionable whether coming out with new $600 video cards is progress. If things work out to the benefit of consumers, the AMD-ATI combo will develop some awesome new cards and nVIDIA will be back to the drawing board working to stay ahead.
In a separate move, AMD announced processor price cuts this week, averaging a 47% decrease. If you've been waiting to buy an AMD cpu, check out your favorite tech parts store.
Here's the final weekly issues list for NEW NET's 25 July 2006 meeting:
- Start-up testing auto-aiming antenna for wireless nets http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/072406-purdue-wireless.html
- Technorati turns 3, rolls out a major update http://technorati.com/weblog/2006/07/110.html
- HOPE - Hackers Fight Authority in NYC http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71450-0.html?tw=wn_index_2
Amie Street: Awesome New Music Model http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/07/23/amie-street-awesome-new-music-model/
- Advanced Micro Agrees to Buy ATI for $5.4 Billion http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aqbjT1kXD7Y8&refer=home
- In marriage of 'CPUs and GPUs,' ATI snapped-up by AMD http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=3367
- AMD drops desktop processor prices by 47% http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/07/23/amd_slashes_desktop_processor_prices/
- New IBM Software Offers Constant Data Backups http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060721/tc_zd/184004
- the 5-in-1 network admin's cable http://www.ossmann.com/5-in-1.html
- MRAM Memory chip threat to hard discs http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/click_online/5202486.stm
- Microsoft confirms Zune project http://www.engadget.com/2006/07/21/microsoft-confirms-zune-project/
- Google increases reinvestments in the business, posts vertigo-inducing earnings http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060721-7323.html
- Gizmo punches standard VOIP business model http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/07/20/gizmo-nukes-standard-voip-business-model/
- New Stuff For Flickr Freaks http://www.techcrunch.com/2006/07/18/new-stuff-for-flickr-freaks/
- Apple's quarterly report shows strong Mac sales, flattening of iPod growth http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060719-7305.html
- Federal judge doesn't buy state secrets argument in NSA wiretap case http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060720-7316.html
- Social Engineering, the Shoppers' Way http://www.darkreading.com/document.asp?doc_id=99347&WT.svl=tease3_2
- Angry/negative people can be bad for your brain http://headrush.typepad.com/creating_passionate_users/2006/04/angrynegative_p.html
- Technology Rewrites the Book http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/20/technology/20basics.html
- High pump prices drive motorists online http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060720/wr_nm/energy_gasoline_internet_dc
- Note the diametrically opposed headlines discussing the exact same financial data in the next two articles…
- New Products Help Microsoft Deliver Record Revenue http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20060720/tc_zd/183959
- Microsoft profits drop as Internet income flags http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060720/bs_afp/uscompanycomputer
- Linux-powered robots from
? Oui! http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS6263763539.html France
- Password size does matter http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/07/21/30OPsecadvise_1.html
- Dealspl.us Web 2.0 bargain finder http://www.dealspl.us/
- Verizon FiOS Internet Service With Fastest Speeds Yet (10 mbps/$34.95) http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/060717/nym149.html
- Coming to video iPod: NVIDIA 3D graphics http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060718-7295.html